Pages

Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Exploring the Commandments Part 9.2-Relationships


For the backstory of what this blog series is on and why it has been written, check out part 1 and part 2 of the series. The original list of all 613 commandments in their textual order that I used came from the site Hebrew4Christians. <http://www.hebrew4christians.com/Articles/Taryag/taryag.html>
 

# 10 Commandments Concerning False Prophets: When I sorted the commandments, I came up with 9 about False Prophets.
 

1.    In a word…don’t…tolerate it. (Deut. 18:20)



# 11 Commandments Concerning Witchcraft: When I sorted the commandments, I came up with 11 about Witchcraft.
1.    In a word…don’t…practice or allow it. (Lev. 19, Deut. 18)
There are many commandments regarding parents and their children, as well as husbands/wives.
Children are to respect their parents and obey them. Rebelling against parents was punishable by death. Cursing or kidnapping a parent was also punishable by death. Hitting parents was also a no-no. Spouses aren't supposed to commit adultery, indulge in adultery thoughts, or have premarital sex. Husbands are to care for their wives.

# 12 Commandments Concerning Family: When I sorted the commandments, I came up with 36 about Family. I further divided them into Parent-Child and Marriage categories.

# 12.1 Commandments Concerning Parent-Child (subcategory family): When I sorted the commandments, I came up with 6 about Parent-Child.

1.    Respect/honor/obey parents (Exo. 20:12, Lev. 19:3)

2.    Don’t hit parents or curse them (Exo. 21:15, Lev. 20:9)

3.    Rebellion, kidnapping, cursing against parents was punishable by death (Exo. 20:12, 21:16-17)
# 12.2 Commandments Concerning Marriage (subcategory family): When I sorted the commandments, I came up with 30 about Marriage.
 

1.    Treat wives kindly (feed, cloth, and “have relations with”) (Exo. 21:10)
 

# 12.3 Commandments Concerning Adultery (subcategory marriage, subcategory family): When I sorted the commandments, I came up with 25 about Adultery.
 

1.    In a nutshell, don’t do adultery. The rest of these commandments deal with specifying who you shouldn’t do adultery with. (Ex. 20:14, see Lev. 18)
 

2.    Don’t think on things that’ll lead to adultery or abandoning the faith (Num. 15:39)
 

3.    Don’t have premarital sex (Deut. 23:18)


Parsons, John J.. "Taryag Mitzvot 613 Commandments of Torah." Hebrew4Christians. Web. 2004. <http://www.hebrew4christians.com/Articles/Taryag/taryag.html>. 

No comments:

Post a Comment