Pages

Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Loving God; Loving Man


I heard that all the Old Testament laws (all 613 of them) can be summed up into two categories: 1) love God and 2) love your neighbor. See HERE for the verse that gave me that idea.

But who really wants to take the time to sort 613 laws into two categories, just to have a visual proof that all of the Old Testament hinges on loving God and loving your neighbors? Apparently me.

The original list of all 613 commandments in their textual order that I used came from the site Hebrew4Christians. <http://www.hebrew4christians.com/Articles/Taryag/taryag.html> Since it's a site that strives to connect Christian with the Hebrew and Jewish roots of their faith, some of the wording might be a little different from your translation of scripture.


The Refiner's Fire does an excellent job categorizing all 613 commandments into Positive and Negative and grouping laws by category within those two sub-groups.

As I started to sort, I quickly realized that many commandments were difficult to sort (not just because the commandments were filled with Hebrew words I didn't know). I'm not a pastor. I haven't gone through seminary.  I'm not divine, so this list isn't perfect. Each commandment, I asked is this God-human or human-human. I sorted them the best that I could, but there most likely are errors.

Now that I've rambled for a while, here is the link to my sortation of all 613 commandments of the Torah. It can open as a PDF file.

Parsons, John J.. "Taryag Mitzvot 613 Commandments of Torah." Hebrew4Christians. Web. 2004. <http://www.hebrew4christians.com/Articles/Taryag/taryag.html>.

No comments:

Post a Comment